The Mapleton area was originally a part of the Queen's Bush held by the government of Upper Canada as Clergy Reserve. The land in the Township was surveyed in two sections during the 1840s. The South-East section, known as the former Peel Township, was surveyed by Robert Kerr in 1843 and the North-West section, known as the former Maryborough Township, was surveyed by Patrick Callaghan in 1849. The land at that time was surveyed into farm lots of 200 acres. Most settlers claimed deeds to land parcels from 50 acres to 100 acres.
What did Mapleton look like?
The early settlers in the Mapleton area built many churches and cemeteries which we can still see today. Many small hamlets spread across the Township and tradesmen supplied the necessities of life for the settlers. Each hamlet attracted blacksmiths, harness and wagon makers, carpenters and masons, shoemakers, tailors and dress makers, millers, and general store keepers. Mail was delivered by stage coach to most of the hamlets and kept people connected. Change came when the Grand Truck Railway was built through the Township in the early 1870's. Stations were established at Alma, Goldstone, Drayton and Moorefield.
The ease of shipping and receiving goods at these centres spelled the demise of most of the other hamlets. Small clusters of houses still show the sites of some of Mapleton's original hamlets. Today our township is a mix of large farms and urban settlements with many industries and businesses serving not only our local area but often a global market.